Chicken Coops

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Presenter Profile: Patricia Waters and Joe Harding, Beginning Home Beekeepers

A Conversation with Patricia Waters, Beginning Home Beekeepers

What will you be presenting?
I'll be sharing my experiences and resources as a beginning backyard beekeeper "assistant" to my husband, Joe Harding, the primary beekeeper in the family (shown below).


Why should people be interested?
I think this will interest others who like to garden organically and are interested in supporting beneficial insects, and harvesting and using products of the hive.


What resources do you recommend for aspiring beekeepers?
I would heartily recommend the Indiana Beekeeper's Association Bee School and membership resources, as well as the Purdue clinics AND contacting and networking with other local backyard beekeepers.

What are some of the rewards of beekeeping?
I have learned enough in the last couple of years to be able to work easily in my garden with the 2-3 hives we have installed in our backyard. I have sooo much to learn about hive management and helping to keep the bees strong and healthy, but I was pleased to have assisted with our first honey harvest. We extracted 4.5 pounds of honey for home use and processed enough beeswax to make container candles for the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment