Chicken Coops

Thursday, October 21, 2010

For All of These Reasons...

by Judy Hostetler, functional artist/nurse/do-it-yourselfer

I am eagerly anticipating the Irvington Skillshare "Feast"ival Spirit and Place event. As a presenter I am excited to share what I know about solar cooking with others - and as a lifelong learner I want to expand my knowledge on self reliance and sustainable food practices.

Why do I care about this? There are several reasons. I love good food, food that is tasty, simple and nutritious. Food that is real. I am not a purist when it comes to eating only locally grown organic food, I do have my moments when nothing tastes better than some fried greasy comfort food, but since I made a conscious effort several years ago to eat more whole foods and be more intentional about what is in my food and where it comes from, I feel better physically and have more energy.

I feel more connected to the earth and am an active participant in the cycles of nature. We grow a variety of vegetables and herbs tucked into garden beds on our small urban lot. Composted kitchen scraps, leaves and grass clippings add rich nutrients to the soil resulting in a steady supply of tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and greens that find their way into our meals. We use the sun to cook some dishes and each time marvel at the power of the sun when its energy is harnessed and concentrated inside a simple insulated cardboard box.

It's the right thing to do for the earth: building up and replenishing instead of depleting and destroying. The earth sustains life, but not without intentional caring for the delicate balance that sustains all life. Living with this in mind makes me slow down and pay attention to the world around me.

It is also the right thing to do for ourselves and our community. As a nurse I am daily reminded of the impact that dietary choices have on our health. Many chronic illnesses are a result of detrimental lifestyle and dietary habits that over time wreak havoc on our intricate body systems. I believe the adage “You are what you eat” - and if I take control of what I put into my body, I have a better a chance of being the kind of person I want to be.

See you at the Skillshare "Feast"ival!

No comments:

Post a Comment